Winter is Dying: Testnatee Gap to Cowrock Mountain via the AT
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Our adventures began on the Appalachian Trail at Testnatee Gap off Highway 348, a few miles northwest of Helen, Georgia. Gadget & I, along with our friends Paul, Alissa and their pup Cachi, got to see the last remnants of this harsh winter fading away into spring in the bare wilderness. We navigated through slushy snow in the parts of the trail covered in shadows, and watched each step for rocks covered in layers of ice. This 2.25 mile out-and-back hike is a good climb to the top of Cowrock Mountain any time of year, but the ice and snow certainly adds to the difficulty in winter.
Cowrock Level Up: Ice & Snow
Gadget smiles (?) for the camera. I love this beardo weirdo!
I'm not sure where the 'Cow' part of the name comes from, but there's no doubt about 'Rock'. The summit is one giant rock, which makes for a wonderful spot to rest, and of course CARB UP! You don't want to do all that hiking on anything less than a full stomach, do you? #HealthyAtEverySize
Amazing view from the Cowrock summit - not a cloud in the sky.
It was our buddies' first time on the Appalachian Trail, and they loved it! Cachi enjoyed stretching out his legs, too, and was a fun hiking partner for our Lily.
A quick "Where Are They Now?" update on Alissa & Paul: Since this hike, these lovebirds have gotten engaged! Congrats, guys.
Goose, Gadget & Lily
Chilling, like we do.
Lily would give anything for us to let her off the leash so she could explore.
Walking sticks were mandatory for the steep hike down the mountain.
Estimated time reaching the summit: 1 Hour Estimated time reaching the bottom: 20 Minutes
Another beautiful day in the North Georgia Mountains comes to an end.
Where have we been? So, here we are. It's been a ridiculously long time since our last blog post around the time of our engagement. Life has been a crazy whirlwind since then. After the engagement, manic wedding planning ensued for six months until the big day on May 20th, 2017. We weighed our options heavily, but decided on getting married at the same place Gadget asked me to be his wife -- Vogel State Park, in the Appalachian Mountains of Blairsville, GA. The week we spent at Vogel preparing for our big day with family & friends was the best week of our lives filled with lots of outdoor time, hiking, and adventure. Eventually, I will get around to blogging about that wonderful week (most of the people who read this blog were there for the wedding, so it will be redundant to most of you anyways), but until then, here's a picture of us after we said "I do". After the wedding, we became *CONSUMED* with house shopping, and before losing all hope, found our dr...
A Hello The past five months have been an absolute whirlwind. Gadget & I have had so many life changes, and while we haven't been hiking or camping a whole lot, I want to finally write about how our lives have been flipped upside down in some crazy ways & begin to document this journey more frequently.... mostly, so that I myself do not forget these days, when life inevitably speeds up even more over the coming months and years. I know there will be tears as I write this recounting of events; some happy tears & some sad. Since May we have experienced massive gains & losses, and now our hearts have healed enough to reflect on what all has happened, and to realize the net gain we have been awarded. Gadget & I decided earlier this year that our roots had peacefully settled in our careers, our home, and our marriage, and it was time to build our relationship in a new way: we wanted a child. After a few months, I became prematurely impatient with the process, a...
Comments
Post a Comment